Sunday, January 01, 2006

Last Weeks Play List

Okay, so I'm still behind with almost everything in my life. Here are last weeks additions to the play list along with my comments.

Beck Goldsmith – Purely Second Guesses (2005) I still can’t believe all the excellent female singer/songwriters that came my way this year. Beck, based in the UK (and if you listen very carefully, you can sometimes hear the accent) is another one to add to that list. This is a beautiful CD, not overly produced, but not stripped down either. She has a beautiful voice and has put together a very nice collection of songs. I look forward to hearing more from her in the future. You can find out more by going to her web site: http://www.beckgoldsmith.co.uk/

Kristy Kruger – An Unauthorized Guide To The Human Anatomy (2003) She got up on a little stage at a taco stand in Austin and I fell in love immediately. But it wasn’t until I realized that she had put a kazoo in her harmonica holder that I knew she was special. I finally got around to listening to the CD I purchased that day (I came home with over 20 CDs from the trip) and I can’t believe I wasted so much time on other artists’ CDs. I did not expect this CD to be this good: Sexy, strong, mysterious, a sound all its own. I just love this CD. Had I found it in 2003 it would have made my best of list. There are mp3s on her site. Please check them out and help support her “starving ass” (a little inside joke). http://www.kristykruger.com/index.html

Mary Gauthier – Mercy Now (2005) What an amazing artist Mary is. Sometimes it feels like I’m listening to Lucinda. Sometimes it feels more like Hank. The music is gritty and real and hard to ignore.

Kate Earl – Fate is the Hunter (2005) We enjoyed seeing Kate at ACL in 2005 and this debut CD is even better than her live performance. Like Fiona Apple 8 or so years ago, she is young and very talented and probably on her way to being someone very special.

Jud Newcomb – Byzantine (2005) Another artist we enjoyed on the ACL weekend in 2005, Scrappy Jud is part of that great Austin tradition of singer/songwriters; a little folk, a little rock, a bit of country, and a lot of heart. If you like artists like Jon Dee Graham and Alejandro Escovedo, you should check out Scrappy Jud Newcomb.

John Doe – Forever Hasn’t Happened Yet (2005) John Doe has been making good music since the 70’s when he was one of the leaders of one of L.A.’s greatest bands, X. I’m not real crazy about the production on this CD, but John is a good songwriter, and I love listening to what he has to say.

Bruce Cockburn – Speechless (2005) We’ve been raving about his guitar playing for years. And now, we have a full CD of it. There are some absolutely beautiful pieces on this CD and, of course, some great guitar playing. This is really for BC fans and fans of acoustic guitar playing only.

KGSR Broadcasts Vol. 13 (2005) I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: This is the best series of live broadcasts on the planet. Buddy Miller opens with a rockin’ “Worry Too Much”, Sam Phillips makes her second appearance in the series and all of the usual suspects are here. Actually there are two regulars missing: Bob Schneider and Shawn Colvin. And it is still an excellent CD. You normally can buy this at www.waterloorecords.com . But if it is sold out, there will be plenty of copies showing up on www.ebay.com .

Sia – Colour The Small One (2004) “Breathe Me” is probably the best song from the Six Feet Under Soundtrack. Her CD is very good and well worth a listen if you love that song (which is on this CD also). This is an import right now, but expect to see it show up in the U.S. in 2006

Collin Herring – Avoiding the Circus (????) I am Not sure of the date, but I am sure that this is one of those CDs that got lost in the crowd and shouldn’t have. Easily up there in quality of songwriting with most of what Ryan Adams has done, this CD is just excellent; and unavailable as far as I can tell. A friend sent me a copy (thanks Jessica) and it didn’t leave my CD player for quite awhile. Scourer the Internet for this one, it is worth it.

Jesse Malin – The Heat (2004) Jess has a great sound; sincere and emotional. I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Music Hall Link - Alejandro Escovedo listen