Thursday, February 23, 2006

Kenny White and Cheryl Wheeler in San Diego

Watching Kenny White work a grand piano brought back memories of the first time I saw him when he opened for Shawn Colvin. He is such an impressive piano player that I sometimes find myself thinking, okay, just get to “In My Recurring Dream” (which is always the closer) so I can watch you take off. And on a real piano… wow! I’ve seen Kenny a few times over the last year or so, and with only a half hour or so to play with, he really can’t do much extra in his shows. He did add a new political song that takes some hard shots at the current administration. He told me later that there are 4 or 5 political songs that may come out on an EP. They will be available on his website, http://www.kennywhite.net sometime in the near future, hopefully.

Cheryl Wheeler put on a show very similar to the one we saw in NYC a couple of years ago. She is so funny that you don’t mind hearing some of the same stories over again. There were new ones though, and as always they were a hoot. For those who have heard her CDs, what you don’t get on the CD is her beautiful voice. It really comes through in concert. Overall it was a lovely evening. I look forward to their next west coast tour.

No comments:

Music Hall Link - Alejandro Escovedo listen