Saturday, July 31, 2010

Paul Thorn and Missiles of October at The Coach House 2010


I’m not sure what else I can say about Paul Thorn. This is the fourth time I’ve seen him in about 5 years and as I looked back on the previous reviews, things started to sound a bit redundant. Maybe that’s a good thing. Paul puts on a great show, whether he is solo or with his band. He always has funny stories to tell (not quiet as many this time around), usually gets around to most of his fans favorites (with a heavy dose of songs from “Ain’t Love Strange”, his breakthrough CD that never broke through for some unknown reason), and always brings us the best of his new material. And honestly, I can’t figure out what else I could ask for. Sure he skipped over some favorites, like “Fabio and Librace” and “Sister Ruby’s House of Prayer”, but overall he rocked the house, with his tight rockin’ band punching most songs up a couple of notches. It was a great show. I’m already looking forward to his next visit. With a house about two thirds filled, he should be coming back her in the OC some time in the future. Can’t wait.

The last time I saw Paul with his band at the Coach House, Missiles of October opened for him and did a solid job. Once again, they came out and played like a headliner, not just an opening band, and had the whole place bouncing around to their catchy tunes and smart covers. I picked up Poul’s new solo CD “Coveralls”, which I’m sure I’ll be talking about soon. I understand they play in Laguna Beach every Sunday night. If you are in So Cal, I’m sure it is worth a visit.

1 comment:

Billy said...

Thanks for the positive Coach House review, it's one of our favorite stops on the left coast.

Just for the record, we can't say enough good stuff about the Missiles of October. These guys are scary good, I wish they we opening for us back in the South. Then again, after our folks heard them we'd probably be opening for them on the next run. Nice guys too.

Best,

Billy Maddox
paulthorn.com
Yo Man Music
Perpetual Obscurity Records

Music Hall Link - Alejandro Escovedo listen