Sunday, April 04, 2010

New Music April 2010

Katell Keineg - At the Mermaid Parade (2010)
It has been over a dozen years since Katell has put out a completely satisfying CD, but the wait is over. From start to finish, Katell has crafted an poetic CD that has her trademark vocals leading well designed melodies into another world. It is only available via download in the U.S. right now. You can purchase it at ITunes or CDBaby.
Kristy Hanson - Into The Quiet (2010)
A nice leap forward for Kristy, who's second CD builds on her first with stronger production, stronger songs and well... It's just a stronger CD. In the days when radio mattered, I could see several songs getting airplay on AAA and maybe even pop rock stations. You can pick up this solid independent CD at CDBaby.
Kenny White - Comfort in the Static (2010)
Kenny's CDs don't come out often enough so I always feel like I'm waiting for the next one. "Comfort in the Static" is well worth the wait. His humor and passion remain intact and the songwriting shows no signs of aging. Kenny continues to document his attempt to navigate through this strange but wonderful world we live in. As one of those who relate to getting older, you can't help but listen and nod, "Yep, I've been there". This man is so talented and it sure would be nice to see him have a bigger fan base. So, please, go to Amazon and purchase this excellent CD.
Allison Moorer - Crows (2010)
It's been 6 years since Allison Moorer has blown us away. "Crows" is s stunning piece of work from Allison and easily her best output since "The Duel". This isn't as loud and fuzz guitar driven as that previous CD, but it is filled with great songs; as good as anything she has written.
John Hiatt - The Open Road (2010)
I don't review music I don't like. It keeps this blog positive (It is so easy to go negative in this day and age). So, when John Hiatt released his last CD (And I've been a huge fan for years), I just didn't get it and decided to play a couple of songs on The Promise, but not blog about the CD. I have no problems talking about "The Open Road" though. This is John's best CD in some time and I love how the songs are all tied into the road, travelling and life on the run. The music rocks, the melodies sparkle and, and, I just love this CD.
Jude Johnstone - Blue Light (2007)
It is sometimes a fine line between singer/songwriter and jazz singer. The more time I spend with great singer/songwriter vocalists, the more I find myself attracted to jazz vocalists. On a small label, Jude Johnstone has a voice that at times reminds me of Shawn Colvin. So, it only seems fair that I share some of this music with you. You can hear more at Jude's website.
Steve Poltz - Dreamhouse (2010)
Steve's "Chinese Vacation" may have some of the funniest songs I've heard in years, but Dreamhouse is a mature work by a talented singer/songwriter. It is a mellower Poltz who has humor and irony drifting in and out of his songs. Lots of good stories/songs here to enjoy.
k.d. lang - recollection (2010)
This is a cool box set with lots of unique and unreleased songs. If you are a big fan you should pick this up. If you've never purchased any of her CDs (like me), this is a great way to start. There are plenty of good songs including 2 versions of Hallelujah.

No comments:

Music Hall Link - Alejandro Escovedo listen